Friday, May 30, 2008

Genesis Chapter 12 - Man Steps Out, God Steps In


Abram was a man who believed and followed God. When God called him to leave his home country and go to a new land, there was no hesitation on Abram’s part. God had selected Abram to be the father of a great nation, a nation that would be known as the people of God, the children of Israel...a nation that would be a blessing to others.

Following God cost Abraham his obedience. God said to "leave behind..." and follow Him, but He did not say where. He asked of Abram the same thing He asks of us today: "Trust me, and I will lead you one step, one day at a time." What has He called us to leave behind? Can we let go of it completely and walk through God’s open door? When we do, God blesses us for our obedience, even as He blessed Abram.

When Abram left Haran to follow God, he took his wife Sarai and his nephew Lot with him, along with all of their possessions and the people they had acquired while living in Haran. When they arrived in the land of Canaan, God again spoke to Abram. The land of Canaan was to become Abram’s land, and in this land God’s people would dwell. It was in actuality a small parcel of land, compared to other countries of the world, but a very strategic piece of property. All of history would be marked by the events that would take place in this land.

Upon arrival in Canaan, Abram built an altar to the Lord. We will find that he was often building altars, for they signified a point of promise and praise. God would promise, and Abram would praise…he would give his worship to this God who was leading him. Do we remember to thank God in our daily walk as we sense Him at work in our lives? He is so worthy of our praise!

Abram, with all the faith he had in God, was still human, he was not perfect. His choices were not always the best ones. When famine came, Abram forgot to trust God, and he headed down to Egypt. One step away from God led to another, and soon Abram was devising his own plans to take care of himself instead of trusting God to take care of him. Of course, Abram’s plan was foolish, and many were hurt by it. His plan was that Sarai would say she was his sister, rather than his wife. Abram feared that he would be killed so that Pharaoh could acquire his beautiful wife. As her brother, however, they would both benefit and be given many gifts. God intervened in the middle of Abram’s stupidity, and warned Pharaoh that Sarai was Abram’s wife. Pharaoh rebuked Abram and sent him, with Sarai and all of his belongings, out of Egypt.

I am glad that Abram was not perfect in his faith, for I see that God is always there. He did not leave Abram alone and helpless when Abram faltered. There have been times when I have taken the reins out of God’s hands, thinking my way of doing things was the best way. Did God get angry with me? Did He turn His back on me? No, just like He stepped into the middle of Abram’s fiasco, He has been there in the middle of my muddled messes. What I have broken, He has mended. That is His business…to mend brokenness. And in my brokenness, He has mended me. Thank you, Father, for always being there for me. Thank you for picking me up, wiping my tears, loving me, equipping me, and putting me back on your path.

"I love You, Lord, and I lift my voice to worship You. O my soul rejoice!
Take joy, my King, in what You hear; May it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear."
(Laurie Klein, Copyright 1978, 1980 House of Mercy Music,admin. by Maranatha! Music)

No comments: