Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Genesis Chapter 14 - Waiting For God's Best

The lust of his eyes and the greed of his heart had enticed Lot to settle in Sodom. What had captivated Lot, also captured him. In a war between several kings, the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were looted, and all the goods and food were carried off, as well as the people. Lot was among those seized. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time! One of the lessons my husband has taught our two sons is that you can be perfectly innocent of a crime, but if you are in the company of those who are guilty, it will be hard to prove your innocence. Hanging out with the wrong crowd, and in the wrong places, is not a wise choice. It’s a dangerous game to play. Lot played the game, and he got caught.

Abram learned of the dilemma Lot was in, and he gathered a small army of men and pursued the forces who had captured his nephew. His men rescued Lot and the others, and brought them and their possessions back to their homes. Sodom’s king wanted to reward Abraham, but Abraham refused as he didn’t want the king to be able to say he had made Abraham rich. Abraham knew where his riches and blessings came from, and he didn’t need whatever the king had to offer him. Not only did Abram refuse to take any rewards, he went a step further and gave a "tithe" (a tenth of everything) to Melchizedeck, the King and priest of Salem. In doing this, Abram was following a tradition that even pagan religions followed - to give a tenth of their earnings to their gods. Melchizedeck, by the way, was a priest "of God Most High". Therefore, Abram was tithing to his God, like we do when we give a tenth of our earnings to our church.

Abram could have accepted the gifts and rewards offered to him by the King of Sodom. He certainly had earned them. However, Abram was thinking ahead. He knew there could come a day when someone would point a finger at him and all his riches and say he received it from earthly means. Abram lived his life so that people would know God alone was the One who blessed him. He wanted people to see God’s goodness, not what Abram had done or some king had given him. I wonder if we settle for what mere man has to offer, or are we willing to be content with God’s goodness and await His blessings?

Listen closely, I think I hear Abram singing his theme song:

"The path that I have trod, has bro’t me nearer God,
Tho’ oft it led thro’ sorrow’s gates.
Tho’ not the way I choose, in my way I might lose
The joy that yet for me awaits.
Submission to the will of Him who guides me still
Is surety of His love revealed.
My soul shall rise above this world in which I move;
I conquer only where I yield.
Chorus: Not what I wish to be, nor where I wish to go,
For who am I that I should choose my way?
The Lord shall choose for me; ‘Tis better far, I know,
So let Him bid me go, or stay."

("Submission"; C. Austin Miles/Mrs. R. R. Forman, Copyright renewal 1962, The Rodeheaver Co.)

No comments: