Saturday, July 19, 2008

Genesis Chapter 23 - Nothing But The Best

Abraham’s beautiful and beloved wife, Sarah, died when Isaac was 37 years old. God had granted her a son in her old age (90), and had given her time to raise him and enjoy the privilege of seeing him grow into a man of God, like his father. God is so good, His timing so perfect.

In this passage we note a custom of those times…that of purchasing land in a public setting with witnesses. Even though Abraham was promised the land and a multitude of descendants, at the time of Sarah’s death he was without a place to bury her. In the "bargaining process" of selling and purchasing property, Abraham was offered the land as a gift, but he wanted to pay the value of the property. Both sides were gracious to one another as they bargained, so different from the greedy attitudes we find today. The final price was determined to be 400 shekels. Sarah was buried in Hebron, part of the promised land of Canaan. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob would also be buried in this place with Sarah, when they reached the end of their lives.

When we trust God with out lives, He works out every detail…nothing is forgotten, overlooked, or left out. Because we know God is in control we do not have to argue or fight to defend our cause. We can live in peace and act graciously toward others, for "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

This passage brings to mind a scripture found in 2 Samuel 24. King David is wanting to build an altar and make a sacrifice to God to stop a plague. He offered to purchase the threshing floor of Araunah, but Araunah wanted to give him the threshing floor, as well as the animals and wood needed for the sacrifice. Then king David responds to him, "No, I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing." Here again is that same attitude that Abraham displayed in purchasing a burial plot for his wife. The reasons for which these men of God wanted to purchase the respective properties were just too precious, too valuable, for them to accept a freebie or a cheap deal. The object of their affection deserved the best they had to give.

Whether the object of my love and devotion is God, or a family member, or a dear friend, am I desirous of giving my best, paying the full price, sacrificing whatever it takes to offer the best I can to the one I love? I like bargains, I shop under the clearance signs as much as possible. But when I face God, my Maker, and Jesus, my Savior, I do not want to be guilty of having given them the remnants of my life, the leftovers, the worn outs.

When I pay my tithe, may I never be guilty of seeing what I have left to give to the "church" (God’s storehouse, the Bride of Jesus).
When I offer my talents, may I never be guilty of seeing how I can fit God into my schedule, if it’s convenient or not.

When I have opportunity to testify of His faithfulness to me, may I never be guilty of shrinking back and feeling embarrassed, afraid of what others might think of me.
I want to be able to stand before the throne of God and look Him straight in the eyes, and say to Him, "Though nothing I could do for you would ever repay what was done for me at Calvary and all the times you interceded in my life, I have tried to live a life that put you first in all that I did and gave." My ultimate goal is to hear my heavenly Father say to me, "Well done, my child, enter into my eternal kingdom. Welcome home!"

No comments: