Friday, August 8, 2008

Genesis Chapter 28 - Gift Exchange

To save the life of her son Jacob, and to preserve her own family line, Rebekah requested Isaac to send Jacob back to her homeland to find a wife. Isaac sent Jacob off with his blessing. At this point Esau must have realized how his marriages to heathen wives were a source of grief to his parents. In trying to gain their favor, he married a daughter of Ishmael, Abraham’s other son.

I wonder about these extra wives that some of the Old Testament characters had. I do not believe that multiple marriages were in God’s plan. Instead I believe it was man’s way of trying to find fulfillment for a void in his life. It is a void we all have…a spiritual cavity. It can only be filled and satisfied with God Himself. He created us to seek after Him and His fellowship, but far too often we use substitutes. We fail to understand God is Who we need, and God is All we need.


The focus of Genesis at this point turns to Jacob. One night, on his journey to Haran to seek a wife, he had a dream. In this dream God spoke to him and told him He would give Jacob and all of his numerous descendants the land where he was resting. This was a continuation of the promise God had made to Abraham and Isaac. Jacob was the third in line to receive God’s promise. God also promised Jacob He would be with him and would watch over him. What a tremendous promise to hold on to!!


Jacob took the stone he had used as a pillow and poured oil on it, naming the place Bethel, meaning "house of God." He then made a promise back to God. Jacob promised to give God a tenth of all that God gave him. This appears to be Jacob’s way of saying thank you…"Since you have been faithful to me, Father God, I will be faithful to you."


In our lives has God been faithful? Has He watched over us and been with us all along the way? He has probably provided for us in more ways than we will ever know. What can we give Him in return? What can we say thank you with? To return a tenth of all that God gives us is the least we can do. To say, "Here I am, Lord, use me." is the least we can give in return. As God continually blesses our lives with His presence, His promises, and His provision, may we willingly say to Him, "All that I am, all that I have, is yours, God!"


"I’m yours, Lord, everything I’ve got,
Everything I am, everything I’m not;
I’m yours, Lord, try me now and see,
See if I can be completely yours!!"

(Gary Chapman, Copyright 1979 Paragon Music Corp.)

No comments: