Sunday, November 9, 2008

Genesis Chapter 41 - Perseverance Pays Well

Joseph had to wait two more years before the cup bearer finally remembered his request. After Pharaoh had two troubling dreams that the wise men of Egypt could not interpret, the light went on in the cup bearer’s head. How convenient that he should finally remember! "Oh, by the way, Pharaoh, there’s this guy I met back in prison. I think he might be able to help you. His name? Let’s see, let’s see.....oh, I think they called him Joseph. You see, I had a dream once, and this Joseph told me that it meant I would be restored to my position as your chief butler, and well, here I am! He’s pretty good, huh!"

Pharaoh sent for Joseph immediately. Now Joseph had spent his time in prison becoming very intimately acquainted with his God. Therefore, when the door of opportunity opened for him to speak on behalf of God, he was ready. He did not have to do a last minute cram on the Works of God and the Faith of the Fathers. He knew God. He trusted God. He lived for God. God was there for him, and he would be there for God. This was his moment. God opened the window of opportunity, and Joseph walked through. No hesitation on his part. No playing games, "Well, I don’t know, God, you sure took long enough to answer my prayers. How do I know this is the right opportunity for me?" Joseph stepped in front on Pharaoh, King of Egypt, and said, "I can’t, but I know a God who can, and will." God qualified the called.

Joseph interpreted Pharaoh’s dreams with the wisdom of God. He told Pharaoh that there would be seven good years of abundance in the land of Egypt, followed by seven years of severe famine. God had forewarned Pharaoh so that provisions could be made during the years of abundant harvest to cover the years of ravaged land. In response to Pharaoh’s request about what to do, Joseph told him to put a wise and discerning person in charge of storing provisions for the lean years ahead. "And, by the way, Joseph, thou art the man. There is none in all of Egypt as wise and discerning as you. You’re going to be my right hand man. I want you to take this ring, these richly ornamented robes (sound familiar?), this golden chain, and this mighty fine chariot to cart you around Egypt. And, let’s see.....for your wife, I give you Asenath. She’s the gorgeous daughter of Potiphera." Joseph was given two sons through Asenath: Manasseh and Ephraim. God caused Joseph to forget all the troubles he had endured, and He made him very successful in place of his suffering.

Oh yes, God makes all things beautiful in His time. He gets the last laugh. I love how these stories have such an ironic twist. What satan means for harm, God brings glory out of. From rags to abundant riches, Joseph rises again. All those years of faithful service, giving his best to his Master (God), have finally resulted in what God had planned for him all along. We do not see the whole picture, just like Joseph never knew what was next in store for him. But, like Joseph, if we will just take life one day at a time, making the best of it for God, we too will someday receive a robe and crown. Hang in there, faithful servant. Persevere, child of God. Be ready, for you know not when God may call upon you. Your day of elevation comes!

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9)

No comments: